Accumeter Super Pro VI Field Review
Field Report Accumeter Super Pro VI
Check Out The Field Report Accumeter VI Super Pro On A Field Report Trip To California!
In this report I had the opportunity to work with the Accumeter Pro VI in some rugged conditions in California and combine it for a job I was hired to do there. The time of year was in the spring with a fair amount of moisture still in the ground which gives the unit better conductivity. Things are green and blooming, so we did not have the concerns of fire season. We got into the area where the target was supposed to be in. After looking over the historical data with the client, we had agreed that it should be within a half-mile radius from our starting point.
Included in the Accumeter VI you have four spools of insulated wire, which are 125 feet long. Unrolling the wire in four opposite directions from the unit is the procedure for setting up the instrument. Next, I put the four copper rods at the end of each wire, and I placed them in the ground firmly then attaching the copper clips to each rod. This allows you to send your signal current independently directly into the ground between two of the six testing positions of the four rods.
With the wire and rods out into their positions, we were testing an area of about 24,000 square feet which was about one-half of an acre. After completing this, I was ready for the first test area. I checked the fuse to make sure it was good, and then I turned on the master switch and the green light came on showing power was being transferred into the unit by the 12-Volt battery. Then I turned on the ohm meter and went over to the left side of the ohm meter and depressing the red button next to it, and I dialed in the meter needle to zero with the knob on the meter. Then taking a test load and plugging them into the ground probe jacks with the test probe being plugged in, I pushed the switch over to the two probe positions that the load was plugged into. I looked at the response on the meter. Then the needle went into the correct position on the gauge, and we were ready to work for the day. Normally you only need to set the meter and use a test load only once during your day of use. If there is a question on whether the response is working correctly you can retest it with one of the two test loads (iron & gold) supplied with the Accumeter VI.
Now that we are ready, the set-up and test time only took about fifteen minutes. With a notepad and pen, I started pushing the different rod position switches for about 3 seconds each and then I wrote down the ohm readings each time. (Switch positions for rods are 1-2, 3-4, 1-3, 2-4, 1-4, and 2-3). My readings were averaging through the first day from 2500 to 4000 ohms. We worked our first grid area moving over from our last tested area and so on until we had covered our first proposed target area. We moved fifteen times that day covering about seven to eight acres, this taking about five hours and then we quit for the day and went over our notes that had been taken on the meter readings. Nothing of a substantial drop was made on the ohm meter that day.
The second day I set-up and reset the unit by putting the test loads in. Everything was working properly. I worked a grid area again, and by the middle of the afternoon I had a drop on the ohm meter to 500 ohms between rods 1-4 and 1000 ohms between rods 2-3. We were now over something and now was the time to start bringing the rods closer together to find the point of contact and get a depth reading. As the rods were moved closer together, the lowest readings were between the rods 1-4, and with that I concentrated on these two rods.
As I moved each rod in each time, one half the distance from the unit the readings dropped. I moved them again and they went up, meaning I was past my optimum point. Moving the two rods out one half the distance from the last point my meter reading went to 300 ohms. This area on the meter is also in the precious metal area. Whereas, if it went up from my average of what I was getting in the area, (the left side of the ohm meter) it would have indicated ferrous metals, a tunnel or cave.
Now that I found my lowest reading, I measured the distance between the two rods. I divided the distance in one half to find my approximate depth.
With that, several weeks later a hammer drill was brought in. We were looking to hit the target at about 80 feet. Hitting a target at that depth can be difficult, but on the sixth hole we hit our target at 83 feet.
Needless to say, everyone was happy and will be for some time to come. Keep in mind while your planning your hunting trips to be aware of the local laws and regulations pertaining to the different places you may be going into.
In conclusion, with the type of hunt on this trip I found the Accumeter VI very helpful in locating and pinpointing a target at that depth. This unit can also locate them at greater depths. Care must be taken with any piece of equipment to keep it maintained and clean. You take care of it and it will take care of you. Till my next trip, have a good time hunting!
Independent Field Representative
FOR THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF OUR FRIENDS AND CLIENTS AROUND THE WORLD, NO DISCLOSURES WERE MADE OF THEIR PROJECTS.